Du må være registrert og logget inn for å kunne legge ut innlegg på freak.no
X
LOGG INN
... eller du kan registrere deg nå
Dette nettstedet er avhengig av annonseinntekter for å holde driften og videre utvikling igang. Vi liker ikke reklame heller, men alternativene er ikke mange. Vær snill å vurder å slå av annonseblokkering, eller å abonnere på en reklamefri utgave av nettstedet.
  53 430399
Hi, I'm James from the UK
I want to move to Norway when I'm older,
Do you guys think Norway is good? I'd be coming when i'm around 20 but know no Norwegian would I settle in fine?
What is it like to get a job and school if you are coming from another country?
Sorry about the English but my Norwegian friend said to post this
Thanks!
Such english

Edit: Hvis det ikke er spam: You'll learn the language, but I'v heard its one of the hardest to learn. The people are nice tho. Everyone settle great here
Sist endret av Mesias; 27. desember 2013 kl. 00:14.
Sitat av HanDuck Vis innlegg
Dette er ikke spam folkens! Jeg sa til han selv at han skulle poste dette her.
Vis hele sitatet...
Hvis han lurer på hvordan Norge er, og han har en norsk kompis. Hvorfor trenger han og spørre oss hvis du kan svare på det?
James
Trådstarter
5 2
Yeah my bad on the title forgot to proofread!
Hello, James!
I think Norway is a good place to live. Compared to the UK we are a bit more reserved and not into emotional outbursts and confrontations. Norway is a friendly country, but foreign people often feel that Norwegians do not like meeting new people. We usually don't speak to strangers, and it takes time to get to know Norwegians I would say. Our tendency to to speak little and be earnest, makes us seem very serious.

I think that it is a requirement to speak Norwegian to integrate to the Norwegian society. You will find it hard to be social and find friends if you don't speak the language. I'm just assuming that you want to integrate and be a part of the mainstream culture.
Don't know too much about jobs and school though...
I lived in the UK last year, and it was great, but there are certain differences between our countries.

Hope you find this information helpful
Sitat av thejhg1 Vis innlegg
Hi, I'm James from the UK
I want to move to Norway when I'm older,
Do you guys think Norway is good? I'd be coming when i'm around 20 but know no Norwegian would I settle in fine?
What is it like to get a job and school if you are coming from another country?
Sorry about the English but my Norwegian friend said to post this
Thanks!
Vis hele sitatet...
Why would you like to move to Norway? And are you born in UK?
James
Trådstarter
5 2
Nexusone, thanks! I've heard the language is hard to learn; that would probably the thing I'd be most nervous about.

OxFF, I'm born in the UK, but I'm just sick of the people and how it is here, I want a change
Nexusone, thanks! I've heard the language is hard to learn; that would probably the thing I'd be most nervous about.

OxFF, I'm born in the UK, but I'm just sick of the people and how it is here, I want a change
Vis hele sitatet...
I don't think there will be a problem living in Norway without knowing the language, most Norwegians are more than capable to speak and have a conversation in English.
Sist endret av Vod0; 27. desember 2013 kl. 00:40.
As Nexusone is saying here, norwegians can be quite serious and won't talk to people they don't know. Anyway, most of norwegian people speaks english fluently, and because of that, I don't think you would have any problem being integrated to the norwegian society.

I would advice you to head to Oslo at first, maybe Bergen. Many coffee-houses and brand clothing shops actually do hire people from other countries, as long as they speak english. Get a job, go drink a few beers with your co-workers, make friends, and learn the language and norwegian culture from there.

At the same time, if you do have the capacity and resources to go to a norwegian course to learn the language and the culture - I would recommend you to do.

Anyway,
Norway is a fantastic country, so get here and follow your dreams!
Sist endret av fisk23; 27. desember 2013 kl. 00:51.
James
Trådstarter
5 2
Settoz - Yeah, my Norwegian friend speaks English fine but I think the thing I'm nervous about is being able to actually study or get somewhere without knowing the language

fisk23 - Well I'd want to study and get somewhere in life so I'd want to study. My friend was right that Norwegians are nice.
Sitat av Settoz Vis innlegg
I don't think there will be a problem living in Norway without knowing the language, most Norwegians are more than capable to speak and have a conversation in English.
Vis hele sitatet...
I disagree. If you're coming to a country to stay, and wont be bothered to learn the language, that sends a message that you are not willing to adapt or integrate.
Even though most Norwegians, especially the ones at your age, late teens, are quite good in English, I think they will find it exhausting to converse for a long time. It's one thing to be one on one with someone, but a different thing when you are several people.
Let's say that you are a group of people in a room, you're the only one who doesn't speak Norwegian, and everybody else talks Norwegian, you will feel left out and wont be able to participate in conversations. You wont be able to know what other people are saying between them, so you won't be able to just "jump in".

I think the Norwegians would start to feel guilty and bad when you're sitting there not understanding shit, and then next time they wont invite you.

The situation may not always be like I described, but you cant expect everybody to speak English.

I speak from experience. I remember me and some friends had pre drinks or an after party this year in England, we were like 7 Norwegians and there was this 1 british dude. In the beginning we all spoke English, but after a while more and more of them got tired of it, and he just sat there all alone not understanding shieeeet.
We felt really bad and guilty, but at the same time we were tired and just wanted to relax and speak Norwegian, but then he couldn't follow what we were saying, and not having a clue what the conversation was about...
Sist endret av Nexusone; 27. desember 2013 kl. 01:04.

Vis hele sitatet...
I will think you are welcome in Norway then, if we see at the average population. It's much harder to be accepted as a Norwegian citizen if you coming from no-western country.

You don't have to worried about the language in the beginning, personally I have some friends who don't speak Norwegian, two of them are from Australia, one from Russia and one from Iceland, we speak English. As long as you have i understandable English it will be fine, something I except from you since your born in UK. Of course it's much easier to have a chat with people who speak Norwegian, but that's something you will pick up after a half year or something.

Is there a special place in Norway you want to move to?
Settoz - Yeah, my Norwegian friend speaks English fine but I think the thing I'm nervous about is being able to actually study or get somewhere without knowing the language

fisk23 - Well I'd want to study and get somewhere in life so I'd want to study. My friend was right that Norwegians are nice.
Vis hele sitatet...
Here in Norway, you've got this thing which is called something like adult education. I think you'd have to get a norwegian citizen membership to get the education for free, but I'm not quite sure about this so you'll have to check yourself.

But as I said in my previous post, get a permission to work in Norway, and then get a job which won't have to be top-notch. Learn the language and the culture, apply for a citizen membership, and see how it goes!

You won't need any superb education to make good of yourself in Norway. Most of the richest guys here in Norway, quitted after highschool or junior highschool. You got to start somewhere, and I would really advice you to start by the language and some friendships.

When you've got those two, the rest will come by itself after you've made your choices.
I think most people at your age will have no problem keeping the conversation in english - and my experoence from hanging out with people I study with si that whenever we have a foreign student with us everyone just keeps talking english, even to each other - and we kinda just forget about it. We often end up keeping the conversation in english even after the foreign student leaves (until someone asks "Why do we keep talking english?"). Also most courses at the bigger universities are given in both english and norwegian so if you plan to come here to study it should not be a problem at all.

My experoence when talking with some people is that getting a job without beeing fluent in norwegian might be hard - but it is possible. And much easier if you are going after jobs that require a masters degree. And if you get a master in computer science you should not have a problem getting a job here in Norway.
Sist endret av etse; 27. desember 2013 kl. 01:11.
James
Trådstarter
5 2
I speak Polish but I picked that up from my mum at a early age, so hopefully a 3rd language wouldn't be so difficult even though I know Norwegian is hard, I'd be willing to learn it; I'd expect it to be the same way if someone moved to the UK or any other country.

I don't actually know where I'd want to go, probably area that needs engineers or computer guys.

Enus sure sign me up!
If you move to Norway i can help you to get work inn fishing, and show you around in Finnmark.
I live in Norway (Finnmark) if you pm me, i can help you out. No rasisme but polish people are very good working people, and fuckings funny

I can offer you to sleep inn my house a few days/weeks and help you out. I got a big contact in sea working like (salamon production, sea fishing, and fish production). Very easy money and social, you get around 20 - 30K (Kroner) each month.
Norway will do you fine!
What is good, is that the universities are free of charge (less than 100 pounds a year), and in some studies most of the read is in english, even the classes and lectures.
If you want to move here permanently you must apply for a permanent residence at a Norwegian embassy.

This allows you to apply for a student loan, which will finance your rent and other expenses while going to an university.

If you only wish to work for a couple of years you can apply for a worker permit.
Honestly, I don't recommend Oslo. People from Oslo is a bit different from people from other districts..
Oslo people think they are the best people, and they like to comment everything. I don't hate Oslo people, but it is how I look them.

Somebody are very mad and rude too....

Example: One time I was in Oslo, i took a bus. Then I was unsure where we was, so I asked a randomi guy:
Where are we now?

The answer: Are you an idiot? Look outside!

I looked outside.
- Uhm, I dont know...?

- Oh my god, are you kidding me? This is Oslo central station!
Sitat av Crisposjokolade Vis innlegg
Honestly, I don't recommend Oslo. People from Oslo is a bit different from people from other districts..
Oslo people think they are the best people, and they like to comment everything. I don't hate Oslo people, but it is how I look them.

Example: One time I was in Oslo, i took a bus. Then I was unsure where we was, so I asked a randomi guy:
Where are we now?

I looked outside.
- Uhm, I dont know...?

Vis hele sitatet...
As a person who moved from Northern Norway to Oslo, i call bullshit. The people from Oslo are alot more accepting than anyone from the districts.
Sitat av Mirriran Vis innlegg
As a person who moved from Northern Norway to Oslo, i call bullshit. The people from Oslo are alot more accepting than anyone from the districts.
Vis hele sitatet...
Come on. If you are gay or different in some way and want to be accepted, then yes. Oslo is a great place. But it is a fact that they are rude, often very arrogant. I mean, I think it depends on who you meet or ask. But the first person I asked directions of when I lived in Oslo was rude and that don't make a good impression.

I would say that the people from the districts are more welcoming and many of them would gladly help you if you stepped on their doorway and asked for food or help being transported somewhere. I know this because I have lived in Oslo as well as out on a farm in a little farm community.
If you are planing to live in the fjords, or other northern parts of Norway, I recommend you to learn Nynorsk instead of Bokmål. You won't understand anything of what people say if you don't.
I speak Polish but I picked that up from my mum at a early age, so hopefully a 3rd language wouldn't be so difficult even though I know Norwegian is hard, I'd be willing to learn it; I'd expect it to be the same way if someone moved to the UK or any other country.

I don't actually know where I'd want to go, probably area that needs engineers or computer guys.

Enus sure sign me up!
Vis hele sitatet...
Then you should go to Kristiansand or Oslo. About 50% of the vacant IT-positions I see are there. About school you don't need to worry as long as you have basic school from before. Most colleges(? Høgskole) here in Norway teach many of the classes in English.
Sitat av Avatar Vis innlegg
If you are planing to live in the fjords, or other northern parts of Norway, I recommend you to learn Nynorsk instead of Bokmål. You won't understand anything of what people say if you don't.
Vis hele sitatet...
True. No written language would help you understand much of those dialects/accents anyway, but nynorsk is a bit closer than bokmål. As soon as you master our vowels, "thick l"s and purring "r"'s, you may find that translating written Norwegian to spoken Norwegian is less nauseating than doing the same in English (e.g., our language(s) ha(s/ve) fewer awkward truncation rules à la "Leicester", "Greenwich", etc…).

Conjugating nouns and verbs is an utter and inconsistent mess, though, especially when writing in bokmål. I have no friends or family who would ever bother complying with each and every conjugation rule when speaking.

Sitat av Settoz Vis innlegg
most Norwegians are more than capable to speak and have a conversation in English.
Vis hele sitatet...
The posts in this thread alone should provide sufficient evidence of why the "more than" part should be left out here.
Sist endret av immolo; 27. desember 2013 kl. 12:24.
I would definitely learn the Norwegian Bokmål, not Nynorsk, just because 90% of all texts, either in newspapers, commercials, general info, texting on TV or online is written in Bokmål. I think it will be easier to learn Bokmål because there is so much more material in Bokmål compared to Nynorsk.
Norwegian is easier than you think, I've gone to school with people from all over the world and they picked it up pretty quickly. Learn Bokmål (more commonly used) and the local dialect. I'd try an exchange year first, maybe?
Hello James. If you want to learn the language quickly, while making many norwegian friends, I recommend you to look up something called "Folkehøyskole". I guess it translates Folk High School ^_^

It lasts for 1 year, has no final exams and it doesn't give you any degrees, but as I said you'll make a bunch of friends and have a lot of fun, and you will definitely pick up the language. It feels more like a camp than an actual school. There's many of them around here, and you can choose whatever subject you want, or whatever location you want. The only downside is that it's quite expensive.
If your fond of nature then Norway has a lot to offer. If not then Denmark is a better choise being the most laid back country in scandinavia. Whatever you do, stay clear of Sweden. English is not a barrier in any scandinavian country,something thats true for young people in all of europe.
Sitat av Mesias Vis innlegg
Such english

Edit: Hvis det ikke er spam: You'll learn the language, but I'v heard its one of the hardest to learn. The people are nice tho. Everyone settle great here
Vis hele sitatet...
Not at all. Norwegian is a member of the germanic language group, and any native speaker of English will, with some effort, be able to learn Norwegian just fine. While German is easy enough to learn, it is considerably more difficult than Norwegian, thanks to German's big amount of grammatical cases.
http://www.pagef30.com/2008/08/why-n...guage-for.html

If the OP wanted to learn Finnish or Hungarian however, you would be absolutely correct.

Someone has probably pointed this out earlier, but I'm full of leftover christmas food and beer, so I don't care.
Sist endret av Zahremar; 27. desember 2013 kl. 16:43.
Upolitisk korrekt
Sitat av Crisposjokolade Vis innlegg

Where are we now?

I looked outside.
- Uhm, I dont know...?

Vis hele sitatet...
My guess is that you haven´t been to Oslo many times, based on the fact that you do not know how the central station looks like. You base your whole view on one or a couple incidents, doesn´t this mean that you actually think you are better than them?

I am not from Oslo myself, but I live there, and you are wrong. People often like to hate on Osloians even though they have no actual experience with them. It is true that people from bigger cities often are a bit different from the more rural areas, but they tend to be nice.

Please don't generalize; it is only embarrassing
Sitat av Nexusone Vis innlegg
I would definitely learn the Norwegian Bokmål, not Nynorsk, just because 90% of all texts, either in newspapers, commercials, general info, texting on TV or online is written in Bokmål. I think it will be easier to learn Bokmål because there is so much more material in Bokmål compared to Nynorsk.
Vis hele sitatet...
Theres more than enough learning-material in Nynorsk. Learning Bokmål first. makes it harder to learn dialects and Nynorsk after. People from the Oslo-area always complains about how "hard" and "unnecessary" Nynorsk is, but this is just because they live in this part of the country and think that the rest of the country is just like it. I began learning Nynorsk in 1th grade, and throughout the years, bokmål just comes by it self through texts and television. Which to learn is up to your self, and depends on where you want to live.
Theres more than enough learning-material in Nynorsk. Learning Bokmål first. makes it harder to learn dialects and Nynorsk after. People from the Oslo-area always complains about how "hard" and "unnecessary" Nynorsk is, but this is just because they live in this part of the country and think that the rest of the country is just like it. I began learning Nynorsk in 1th grade, and throughout the years, bokmål just comes by it self through texts and television. Which to learn is up to your self, and depends on where you want to live.
Vis hele sitatet...
I'm not saying that there is not enough learning material in Nynorsk, I'm saying that because 90% of texts in Norway is in Bokmål, it will be easier to learn Bokmål. I don't think it is necessary for a foreign person to learn BOTH Bokmål and Nynorsk. Students hate, and none of them really understands why we should learn Nynorsk. In the larger cities, nobody uses Nynorsk. From time to time you will see Nynorsk texting on NRK (TV station) or in some local newspaper, but that's rather rare.
Nynorsk won't even be in the Norwegian school curriculum in a few years, as it is becoming more and more unnecessary and students can't really be bothered to learn it, because they will never have any use for it.

Go for what the majority of people use, which is clearly Bokmål, unless you're gonna settle in some small town far away from the cities, and in these towns, it will be even harder to get friends, as many of them don't speak English as well as the larger cities, especially not the older generation.
I'm not saying that there is not enough learning material in Nynorsk, I'm saying that because 90% of texts in Norway is in Bokmål, it will be easier to learn Bokmål. I don't think it is necessary for a foreign person to learn BOTH Bokmål and Nynorsk. Students hate, and none of them really understands why we should learn Nynorsk. In the larger cities, nobody uses Nynorsk. From time to time you will see Nynorsk texting on NRK (TV station) or in some local newspaper, but that's rather rare.
Nynorsk won't even be in the Norwegian school curriculum in a few years, as it is becoming more and more unnecessary and students can't really be bothered to learn it, because they will never have any use for it.

Go for what the majority of people use, which is clearly Bokmål, unless you're gonna settle in some small town far away from the cities, and in these towns, it will be even harder to get friends, as many of them don't speak English as well as the larger cities, especially not the older generation.
Vis hele sitatet...
There are some larger citys that uses Nynorsks on the west coast of Norway. Most of my classmates hated Nynorsk, and just "didn't understand it". But I got a 6 at the final exam even though they live in the same area as me. This proves (at least in my head) that it just about motivation, and that they don't have an image of what the rest of the entire country is like as for communication in a verbal way. But what do they do when a Nynorsk-speaking person comes and asks a question they don't understand?
There are some larger citys that uses Nynorsks on the west coast of Norway. Most of my classmates hated Nynorsk, and just "didn't understand it". But I got a 6 at the final exam even though they live in the same area as me. This proves (at least in my head) that it just about motivation, and that they don't have an image of what the rest of the entire country is like as for communication in a verbal way. But what do they do when a Nynorsk-speaking person comes and asks a question they don't understand?
Vis hele sitatet...
It's really not that hard to understand, a lot of my immigrant friends understands nynorsk pretty good, but have a harder time writing it. They are taught mostly Bokmål, but not tested in Nynorsk.
Do you guys think Norway is good?
Vis hele sitatet...
Nope, our realm is not good.
But must people are under the advertisement spell so they will tell you otherwise.
Unless you are keen on the Sinking Ferry -

www.ryanair.com
www.flybilligst.com (Just hit that non-existant button with Union Jack :-)

Please Be a Gentleman and bring along any unwanted homely sisters/aunties you care to dispose of properly :-)
(Heck - She might even pay for the tickets :-)
Professional men suddenly finding themselves without a mother for their 2 children can't afford to be fussy
about poorly regulated teeth and Sketchy Education when they are in dire need
to fill the ranks with a good caring Mother like yesterday.
Sur og sarkastisk
Sitat av Squidcloud Vis innlegg
Nope, our realm is not good.
But must people are under the advertisement spell so they will tell you otherwise.
Vis hele sitatet...
What is wrong with Norway? Sure, we may not be the most open people, but it's not impossible to make friends or anything. Also; many here speak English (good enough to understand at least) and may be willing to teach you a little Norwegian (probably swearing for the most part but...)
Many people have asked the same questions that you ask
here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Norway

Go check It out, tons of good answers In posts asked there.
Sitat av etse Vis innlegg
my experoence from hanging out with people I study with is that whenever we have a foreign student with us everyone just keeps talking english, even to each other - and we kinda just forget about it. We often end up keeping the conversation in english even after the foreign student leaves (until someone asks "Why do we keep talking english?").
Vis hele sitatet...
Sånn som nå mener du?
Sitat av Gelémannen Vis innlegg
Sånn som nå mener du?
Vis hele sitatet...
+1 Can relate to this.
If you are planning to go into engineering or IT you could try to get into a Norwegian university like http://www.uio.no/english/ or http://www.hioa.no/eng/ Im not too familiar with Oslo myself so i dont know which universities are most relevant for engineering/IT.
But what do they do when a Nynorsk-speaking person comes and asks a question they don't understand?
Vis hele sitatet...
Noone speaks Nynorsk. It's a written language based on alot of different dialects that are being spoken...
Ive got 2 english spesking friends, they have lived here for 2 and 4 years. They both understand norwegian, but speaks in english. So when we are haning with them we just speak norwegian and they respond in english.
Sitat av legalize_it Vis innlegg
Noone speaks Nynorsk. It's a written language based on alot of different dialects that are being spoken...
Vis hele sitatet...
People do speak Nynorsk! At least at the west coast.
People do speak Nynorsk! At least at the west coast.
Vis hele sitatet...
Nynorsk er et skriftspråk, ikke en dialekt. På vestlandet går det vel i dialekter fra blandt annet Stavanger, Bergen og Haugesund, hvorav nynorsk fortsatt bare er et skriftspråk.

Ser og at nFF har blitt fleksible på bruk av språk her på forumet. Svensk, engelsk og dyselektilekilisi er også blitt godkjent ved siden av bokmål og nynorsk.
Sist endret av boblesaft; 29. desember 2013 kl. 20:13.
If you move to a city like Bergen, Stavanger or Trondheim i would advice you to learn nynorsk at first. It has a much more similiar pronounciation to the local dialect than bokmål. Bokmål is spoken mostly on the south-eastern parts near Oslo, allthough bokmål is our common written language in most cases. Almost 80% of the population speaks dialect, and nynorsk is made with a combination of the dialects. It's easy to learn both when you speak one of them, they are quite similiar.
Sitat av Kramer Vis innlegg
If you move to a city like Bergen, Stavanger or Trondheim i would advice you to learn nynorsk at first. It has a much more similiar pronounciation to the local dialect than bokmål. Bokmål is spoken mostly on the south-eastern parts near Oslo, allthough bokmål is our common written language in most cases. Almost 80% of the population speaks dialect, and nynorsk is made with a combination of the dialects. It's easy to learn both when you speak one of them, they are quite similiar.
Vis hele sitatet...
NO ONE speaks Bokmål or Nynorsk.
NO ONE speaks Bokmål or Nynorsk.
Vis hele sitatet...
He would understand the dialects much easier if he learnt nynorsk.
Sitat av Kramer Vis innlegg
He would understand the dialects much easier if he learnt nynorsk.
Vis hele sitatet...
I have lived both in Bergen and Stavanger, and also been a lot to Kristiansand. I don't think it would be easier to learn Nynorsk in any of those places, because Bokmål is the standard there. Outside Stavanger and Bergen there are many smaller places that has Nynorsk as standard (Jæren, Voss, Os, Førde.
If you speak the "posh" way (in Bergen or Stavanger) you would say "jæi, mæi og dæi" pronouncing it more similar to people in Oslo. The rest and majority of the people there are pronouncing it more like "eg, meg og deg", but still most of our words are pronounced more the way it is written in Bokmål.

Nynorsk has three "sexes", Bokmål also has 3, but the feminine version is optional in Bokmål, making it easier to learn Norwegian in for an example Bergen, as their dialect don't have the feminine word ending like in "jenta".