Du må være registrert og logget inn for å kunne legge ut innlegg på freak.no
X
LOGG INN
... eller du kan registrere deg nå
Dette nettstedet er avhengig av annonseinntekter for å holde driften og videre utvikling igang. Vi liker ikke reklame heller, men alternativene er ikke mange. Vær snill å vurder å slå av annonseblokkering, eller å abonnere på en reklamefri utgave av nettstedet.
  66 880383
Hi
I am a Norwegian and I can in a small degree relate to the struggle you are having. It can sometimes be hard to get friends even when I'm a norwegian. I have moved a lot inside Norway, so I would have to make new friends. If I'm doing an activity, like work, working out or meeting some friends of a friend, its not hard at all. But if you are trying to get to know someone outside an activity, thats really hard.

Brotip:
Do stuff and make friends while doing it. Works most of the time. And be honest and say something like "Hi, I do not know so many people. Do you want to hang out this weekend?"
Agreed, actually I say this to family and friends often. We should really be nicer to strangers and people we don't know that good because we don't know how easily others gets hurt or what makes people sad, and then we can be our regular careless self when we do know each other. , I know that my day is so much better if people actually notice that I am here ahah. We are so arrogant and cold people compared to many other contries. I have traveled a lot, and in every single country I have traveled to people smile when you walk past them or they greet you when you meet them. It's so nice. But we don't ask "how are you" every time we meet a person, I think that is because we don't like to be asked for stuff, we wanna tell ourself. And that we have always been "teached" to not be to curious and don't ask to much. I know that I don't like when people ask to much, so therefore I don't ask so much that I may want to. I also think that it has something to do with junior high, where everything is about being most popular or having the best clothes. This I feel is similar in other contries, but we take it with us to high school and university and the rest of our life, we teach ourself to be arrogant, because if we are arrogant and walk by you with a stone cold face and hard steps it looks like we have more self esteem and confidence. We live in this little bubble called "mind your own business"

We really are nice people, we just don't show it if we don't know you. But it doesn't hurt to smile a little. But to your question, I don't think this will change very soon or even soon at all, it's just how we are and we don't even think about it because that's just how we were raised.
Ive had most of my bad experience in spanish places.

But as in Norway I guess there are always some of those that are rude and fed up with foreigners, tourists, exchange students, EU workers etc. But I dont let the bad experiences get me down as the good ones outshine all the bad ones.

A thing about Norway is that they often feel foreigners are trying to take advantage of us. Both here in Norway and when we are out traveling. Almost every norwegian have been victim of some kind of scam from foreigners either at home or abroad. The thing that we have to pay more for the same goods as the natives do many places etc. Many little things that make an impression.

I myself have been scammed many times during 20-30 years of traveling, but I always know when it is happening and If i dont loose a whole lot I dont bother to make a fuss.

Another thing is that norwegians sets honesty very highly. If prove yourself as an honest person you will have no problem gettin friends. In some cultures people rather lie not too loose face and that does not build trust even if it is about silly things.

I work in an area that has tourists every day. And even if Im dead tired after work I always try to be polite and helpful if foreigners are asking for directions or other things. But sometimes I think I am so overworked that I dont seem polite even if I am.

We have a lot of romanian/organized beggars that comes in organized busloads and if we dont give them money they spit or curse at us (happened several times). They setup camps and totally ruin the places with garbage and fecies everywhere. They ask for money and leave us theire shit.

Norwegians are also loosing jobs in great speed to cheaper foreign work and they sometime feels foreigners as a threat to theire livelyhood.
Man companies use indian or east-european companies instead of hiring norwegians.

We also have a problem with a huge amount of money laundering and criminal activites in foreign circles in our countries. Where most are represented by somalies, pakistanis and east europeans. Many pakistanis treat our girls badly, use them and throw them away but norwegian guys are not allowed to date theire women (racism towards theire host country).

But these are the bad stuff. We certainly never judge everyone based on this. But Norway certainly has had its share of foreigners trying to take advantage of us and that shapes how people view visitors.
Sist endret av Carnivore; 31. desember 2016 kl. 14:48. Grunn: Automatisk sammenslåing med etterfølgende innlegg.
Sitat av Opteryx Vis innlegg
A lot of Norwegians are xenophobic, but hardly anyone is willing to admit it.
Vis hele sitatet...
I'd be more worried about being a place where people are openly xenophobic. I often hear this statement and it's a little confusing. Are you trying to say that Norwegians in general are more xenophobic than other groups of people? That might very well be the case, but then you should say so. I somehow doubt it, but I guess it depends on how you look at xenophobia. In general it just comes off as someone trying to act intellectual.

It's always interesting to get an outsiders perspective, like how banks can be almost impossible to work with, but government agencies are easy to work with. Things that native people take for granted or are just used to, but that comes off as very strange for a foreigner. I think a lot of people have some warped sense of what Norway is and should be. And that goes for expats and natives. It's definitively some sort of national entitlement going on, but when you look back in history, a lot of that is easily explainable. That doesn't mean that it's right or should be tolerated. It gets old talking about oil wealth real quick.

But it took me by surprise that you were Dutch, as I've personally never had any issues connecting with Dutch people, either studying, working or just visiting. We always connect easily and quickly understand each others. Even easier than Swedes.
As I have lived for half a century I know that Norwegians attitude have changed gradualy towards foreigners in the last 10-20 years based on many years of bad experience when trying to be open and welcoming.

When it comes to dutch people Ive never heard of anyone having trouble with them. Some friends have had long relationships with ducth men and women. The netherlands is a place most norwegians love and I findt it hard to think that we wouldnt be welcoming a dutchman.

We have many dutch imigrants that bring new life to abandoned farms and villages and all norwegians I know love them for that.

And one thing norwegians excel at is bashing theire own culture and people and worshipping everything foreign or exotic. I find that naive.

haha Wat
Sist endret av Carnivore; 31. desember 2016 kl. 15:34. Grunn: Automatisk sammenslåing med etterfølgende innlegg.
Sitat av Freakywomen Vis innlegg
Agreed, actually I say this to family and friends often. We should really be nicer to strangers and people we don't know that good because we don't know how easily others gets hurt or what makes people sad, and then we can be our regular careless self when we do know each other.
Vis hele sitatet...
A stranger is nice to me if he leaves me the hell alone when I just want to relax with my own thoughts on a bus trip, train trip or similar. A nice person gives me my personal space and doesn't bother me unnecessarily.

Also, fake smiles and an automatic "how are you" without really caring is rude to me. Yes, I know it's the way people greet each other in lots of places and that's fine because although it is superficial in reality it's basically just saying "hello", but it's starting to infest Norwegians as well. If you don't give a shit about how I feel, don't ask. Pretending to care is rude.

Don't assume that things you think are signs of friendliness is what everyone else prefers as well.
Sitat av hemmeligegreier Vis innlegg
A stranger is nice to me if he leaves me the hell alone when I just want to relax with my own thoughts on a bus trip, train trip or similar. A nice person gives me my personal space and doesn't bother me unnecessarily.

Also, fake smiles and an automatic "how are you" without really caring is rude to me. Yes, I know it's the way people greet each other in lots of places and that's fine because although it is superficial in reality it's basically just saying "hello", but it's starting to infest Norwegians as well. If you don't give a shit about how I feel, don't ask. Pretending to care is rude.
Vis hele sitatet...
Personal space is good. But I didn't mean that a stranger sitting next to you at the bus or the train should ask you how you feel or what you had for dinner yesterday, but if you get eye contact with someone you walk past you don have to look like the biggest asshole or bitch. That's not friendly at all. Just that it doesn't hurt to smile a little. And why give a fake smile? You can just give a real one? I have never ever met a person that thinks a smile is unfriendly.. sad that you think so.

Don't assume that things you think are signs of friendliness is what everyone else prefers as well.
Vis hele sitatet...
I did not. You obviously didn't read the whole thing.
Personal space is good. But I didn't mean that a stranger sitting next to you at the bus or the train should ask you how you feel or what you had for dinner yesterday, but if you get eye contact with someone you walk past you don have to look like the biggest asshole or bitch. That's not friendly at all. Just that it doesn't hurt to smile a little. And why give a fake smile? You can just give a real one? I have never ever met a person that thinks a smile is unfriendly.. sad that you think so.
Vis hele sitatet...
The stranger sitting next to me on the bus was just an example. The same thing goes when I'm walking somewhere, minding my own business, busy with my own thoughts. Leave me the hell alone. I don't need you to stare at me, and I'm not going to stare at you. I'll stare into the distance, or look out for traffic or whatever else might be relevant. But I don't need to interact with other people all the time.

I did not. You obviously didn't read the whole thing.
Vis hele sitatet...
You basically said that being nice to people involves invading their personal space. And you didn't qualify it in any way. It was a blanket statement.

Well, I don't think having my personal space invaded is very nice. You don't speak on my behalf, and still you equate actively communicating with other people all the time to being nice.
Can anyone explain to me why a woman would accuse me of staring at her breasts when she have them on display with large parts uncovered and clevage for everyone to see? Why is she showing cleavage if she dont want people to look at it?

The point being. Most people only want attention from the ones they prefer. People that dont want attention from you will act rude. Look down, away, make a grimace etc. to signal "I dont want your attention".

And I have not found this to be particulary norwegian.
Sist endret av Carnivore; 2. januar 2017 kl. 17:50.
The stranger sitting next to me on the bus was just an example. The same thing goes when I'm walking somewhere, minding my own business, busy with my own thoughts. Leave me the hell alone. I don't need you to stare at me, and I'm not going to stare at you. I'll stare into the distance, or look out for traffic or whatever else might be relevant. But I don't need to interact with other people all the time.

You basically said that being nice to people involves invading their personal space. And you didn't qualify it in any way. It was a blanket statement.

Well, I don't think having my personal space invaded is very nice. You don't speak on my behalf, and still you equate actively communicating with other people all the time to being nice.
Vis hele sitatet...
Sorry if you understood it that way, but that was not what I meant. I will try to explain it you you one more time. You have to read what I am writing and think of it, just don't assume things.

I was also, like you, using the stranger sitting next to you on the bus as an example. You may be busy walking with your own thoughts and minding your own business, but if you are in town, lets say that you are out shopping, you will eventually get eye contact with someone. You found a jacket you want, you now have to pay for it, you got to talk with the cashier, why don't smile and say hello insted of ignoring her?

I don't mean that you have to go around smiling like an idiot to everyone you see. I don't care if you stare at the ground, but if it was me who was working on that bar you go to every weekend, I would like that you said hello to me when you was paying for the beer, not ignoring me.

I don't speak on your behalf, or anyone's. I am just sharing my opinion, sorry if you got hurt or something, it was just my opinion. So if you want to look in the ceiling insted of smiling to the person you just got eye contact with, be my guest.

Sitat av Carnivore Vis innlegg
Why is she showing cleavage if she dont want people to look at it?
Vis hele sitatet...
She probably wants you to look at it, she just don't dare to tell in fear of sounding "slutty"
Sist endret av Freakywomen; 2. januar 2017 kl. 18:18. Grunn: Automatisk sammenslåing med etterfølgende innlegg.
every people are different.. dosent matter where your from.
You may be busy walking with your own thoughts and minding your own business, but if you are in town, lets say that you are out shopping, you will eventually get eye contact with someone. You found a jacket you want, you now have to pay for it, you got to talk with the cashier, why don't smile and say hello insted of ignoring her?
Vis hele sitatet...
I didn't say I wouldn't smile and say hello to her. When doing that, I have an actual purpose, and I am carrying out an interaction I wanted to take part in. But that wasn't what your comment was about. Your comment was very general with no ifs or buts.
I didn't say I wouldn't smile and say hello to her. When doing that, I have an actual purpose, and I am carrying out an interaction I wanted to take part in. But that wasn't what your comment was about. Your comment was very general with no ifs or buts.
Vis hele sitatet...
I didn't say you weren't, it was still just an example. I just say that my meaning is that it doesn't hurt to smile a little, I said that in my frist post too, I am not telling anyone to be different, I just told my opinion to TS! You hang yourself to much up in the details. In my second post I told you what I meant, in my third post also. I was, and still am using examples for you to read. This is my fourth post, and I am not trying again. You are welcome to interpret my posts in any way you like. Happy new year!
It doesn't hurt to smile if I have a reason to smile. If I want to just get from A to B and be left alone with my own thoughts I don't need anyone to intrude by attempting pointless communication.

The point of all this is that I don't need you or anyone else to be "nice" to me in the way you talked to your family and friends about. That you think something is nice doesn't mean that everyone else does.
In Estonia smiling without a reason is seen as a weakness. You genereally shouldn't smile unless you have a reason to smile. I Guess the same thing goes for Norway.
ओम नमो नारायण
DonorCrew
Sitat av MalM Vis innlegg
In Estonia smiling without a reason is seen as a weakness. You genereally shouldn't smile unless you have a reason to smile. I Guess the same thing goes for Norway.
Vis hele sitatet...
Not an issue in scandinavia, this is more attributed to slavic countries/Russia, as in smiling is not seen as a weakness here.
The difference is that Norwegians, even though they smiled at you, don't expect a prolonged discussion or even more interaction than the initial smile and nod.

I had an interesting experience while traveling, i was at a beach writing in my travel log when two girls came and sat not far from me, the beach was mostly empty.
I look up and smile and nod, and get back to my writing.

Now, after finishing up i got into a conversation with them.
One girl was from Israel but lived currently in Miami, the other girl was Finnish.
The Israeli girl thought i was quite rude by not joining them and striking up a conversation, where the Finnish girl jumped in and explained that "we scandinavians" show respect by not imposing ourselves on other people (unless blatanly drunk).
▼ ... over en måned senere ... ▼
Sitat av Simonaline Vis innlegg
I very much recommend reading The Social Guidebook to Norway: Friendships and Relationships. And keep in mind that you cannot fight Norwegian culture and values. Just accept them for what they are and try to understand where they come from with an open perspective. And as said, learning the language is the key to integration. Keep your head up, there is a place for you in this society
Vis hele sitatet...
I really agree with Simonaline, if you want to know a Norwegian you have to do it though a practical setting. It is an introverted society, and we need a framework to not feel awkward. Therefor Norwegians are into their social bubbles, where socializing is about being together though a common activity.

If you are from the outside and has no Norwegian friends , I think this is a good way to boot-strap yourself into the Norwegian society.

I also recommend the book, Social Guidebook to Norway. Try join a group of some setting, like e.g. Turistforeningen. Or try the Meetup -app. You can also try joining a church of some sort, they organize many activities for people to be social.

And yes, as southerner, to be honest I feel the northerners are better at being social. I feel they are more extroverted. They often are really good at social banter, and to create a good social atmosphere. This has been my experience when I have visited Tromsø, and Bodø. So if you are moving to Norway, maybe give Bodø or Tromsø a go? Its cold and dark many months of the year but has warm people..
Sist endret av MrGuy; 26. februar 2017 kl. 15:38.