Tråd: Nord Stream
View Single Post
Sitat av Deezire Vis innlegg
Artikkelen er som en Tom Clancy-novelle.

Og alt er bygget på én anonym kilde. Det lukter vondt lang vei. Det er heller ikke første gangen han har kommet med spektakulære konspirasjoner som ikke gikk noen vei.

Den legger ikke frem noen gode forklaringer på hvorfor USA skulle involvere Norge i en slik operasjon. De er fult ut kapable til å gjennomføre noe sånt helt på egenhånd.

Nord Stream 2 var et dødt prosjekt lenge før rørene ble sprengt. Nord Stream 1 fraktet såvidt gass. Det var helt åpenbart hvilken retning Europa hadde valgt på det tidspunktet, og at det eneste kortet Russland hadde på hånden var å håpe på totalt kaos i vinter på grunn av mangel på gass. I perioden frem til rørene sprang så påsto Russland at de ikke kunne sende avtalt mengde gass på grunn av problemer med turbiner, som ble kategorisk tilbakebevist av Siemens. Russland ønsket åpenbart ikke å levere gass, men de vil samtidig ikke fremstå som en useriøs partner. De har tross alt masse de ønsker å selge til resten av verden.

Jens Stoltenberg er ikke "Supreme Commander of NATO", og han er ikke en hardliner mot Russland. Norge sine P8 Poseidon-fly er ikke tatt i bruk enda. Det er litt spesielt at en journalist av det påståtte kaliberet skulle komme med så mange kategoriske feil i en artikkel som dette. For meg virker det mer som en nyttig idiot som ikke lengre er så dyktig som han en gang var i gravejournalistikk.
Vis hele sitatet...
Jeg synes den var godt skrevet, og jeg er ikke ukjent med den skildrende journalistiske stilen.

Det er heller ikke første gang han har kommet med spektakulære avsløringer som ble emfatisk benektet, som hjemlig overvåkning i USA, My Lai-massakren, og tortur i Abu Ghraib, men som allikevel viste seg å være sanne.

Det er i kraft av sin tilgang til og fortrolighet med prominente kilder at Sy Hersh gjennom sin karriere har kunnet drive den journalistikken han har gjort. Her er det for oss lesere én anonym kilde, og det er naturligvis problematisk. Det er i det minste ikke nok til å trekke noen konklusjoner - imidlertid er det å påstå at artikkelen på grunn av dette “lukter vondt lang vei” absurd, på The New York Times kan du finne bøttevis med artikler som bygger på anonymer kilder, og det er naturligvis en nødvendighet i en del journalistiske tilfeller.

Flere journalister har reagert som du, og dette er i mine øyne det motsatte av hva den gravende journalistikken jeg håpet på i forrige innlegg dreier seg om. Mange av hans kritikere nå har ikke selv noen god alternativ forklaring, og tyr til sverting av hans rykte. Det er vel på et vis forståelig, ettersom det er hans ry som gjør at hans artikkel vinner innpass hos eksempelvis The Times, men det har ikke noe med journalistikk å gjøre - derimot tjener det til å skremme andre journalister vekk fra å ønske i det hele tatt å ta i saken, som om det er godt for noe. Craig Murray, tidligere britisk yrkesdiplomat og ambassadør, og en senere fremragende journalist selv, jf. bare referatene og kommentarene til rettshøringene mot Julian Assange, (og som i parentes bemerket er en sterk kritiker av Russlands invasjon av Ukraina og Putin-regimet) reflekterer på bakgrunn av sine erfaringer over denne tendensen i sin kommentar til artikkelen:

The media line, parroted here relentlessly by the BBC and corporate media, wasxthat the Russians had probably themselves blown up the pipeline on which they had expended such great resources and three decades of intense diplomatic activity, and which was to be the key to Russia’s single most valuable source of income for the next 40 years.

This was always quite literally incredible. You would have to be deranged to believe it.

It actually taught me not just that we truly are in the realm of totalitarianism and the Big Lie, but I learnt something very important about how the Big Lie works.

The secret is not that people genuinely believe an outrageous claim. The secret is that people do genuinely believe that they are in a battle of good against evil, and it is necessary to accept the narrative being promoted, in the interests of fighting evil.

Don’t question, just follow. If you do question, you are promoting evil.

I am sure that is how it works.

State and corporate stenographer journalists are actually intelligent individuals. If they thought about it, they would realise that the narrative that Russia blew up its own pipeline is obvious nonsense.

But they are convinced it is morally wrong to think about it.

Which is why none of them challenged the equally mad claims that Russia was repeatedly shelling its own forces occupying the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power station, and indeed is why none of them challenged the utterly risible official version of the Skripal story.

I previously told the anecdote from when I worked in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and asked a good friend if he really believed the misinformatioin on Iraqi WMD with which he was involved.

He replied by referring to the video game Championship Manager (now renamed Football Manager), which we used to play together. He said when he was in the game, it was immersive, he was manager of Liverpool, and it fully absorbed him.

Similarly, when he walked through the FCO gates, the world of the intelligence reports was immersive and Iraq did have these WMDs inside that world. He worked in the “reality” of the FCO. Once he left in the evening, he lived in a different reality, the world of us in the pub.

I do know of one or two journalists bright enough to detach their professional output from what they really think, in a similar way. (I once had a conversation along these lines with Jeremy Bowen in Tashkent.)

Most however don’t think like this. They simply think that all right thinking people support the historic struggle against the evil Russians, so it must be right to read out the propaganda without thinking too much about it.
Vis hele sitatet...
Murray utdyper dette fraværet av nyanser og klar og prinsipiell tenkning i et annet godt innlegg:

Now my position on the Ukraine war is a great deal more nuanced than most of the speakers at the No to NATO debate. I oppose NATO because it is an agent of neo-imperialism and a mechanism for the diversion of huge amounts of resources to the super rich, via the arms and military industries.

But I am plain that while provoked, the invasion of Ukraine by Russia was nonetheless illegal in international law. I view those who regard Putin as a defender of democracy or of workers’ rights as seriously deluded.

Putin is a very bad man, and the West is only just achieving the levels of wealth inequality that Russia has experienced (with a push from the West) these last three decades. The oligarchs and military industrial complex rip off the ordinary man in Russia, just as in the West.

This is a disaster for the people of Ukraine, for the people of Russia and for the people of the World. It is going to end with Crimea absorbed into Russia and some kind of autonomous status inside Ukraine for the Donbass regions.

That outcome could have been agreed without war, before thousands had to die and millions be impoverished. It could be agreed today. All the death and destruction and weapons systems will achieve nothing – except massive profits for the wealthy.

Responsible politicians would stop the fighting now. But no politician sees a personal interest in doing anything other than escalating and pouring in more and more weapons systems to mince human flesh.

I worry hugely about the abysmal quality of public debate. I am not sure whether bad education, social media or a race to the bottom in broadcast and print media – which are mostly about commentators not about news – are most to blame.

But quality of thought and depth of understanding are abandoned almost entirely in what passes for public debate in favour of risible extremist positions.

Ukraine is one example, where we have an establishment view that NATO and Ukraine are perfect, that there was no constant pre-invasion shelling of Russian speaking civilians or banning of Russian oriented political parties or the Russian language and publications, and definitely no Nazi influence in the Ukrainian armed forces.

Then you have those brave enough to suggest a counter view, but who claim that Putin is perfect and Russia a workers’ paradise, that all Ukrainians are Nazis, that there are no Ukrainians in the Donbass, and that Russia is only prevented by self-restraint from total military victory.

These are both ideological positions which are self-evidently ludicrous, but the first is in fact adopted by Western governments and the entire mainstream media.
Vis hele sitatet...
Hva angår Jens Stoltenberg, er han naturligvis generalsekretær for NATO, og qua generalsekretær i NATO naturligvis en hardliner mot Russland. Uansett er det interessant å høre at han oppfattes sånn i utlandet. For eksempel uttalte den tyske konservative politikeren Willy Wimmer, som satt i Forbundsdagen fra 1976-2009 og har vært statssekretær i det tyske forsvarsdepartementet og visepresident for Organisasjonen for sikkerhet og samarbeid i Europa (OSSE), en gang dette, som sier noe om hvordan «fredsnasjonen Norge» blir sett på i utlandet.

The stipulations of NATO some years ago when it came to increasing military budgets were all from US pressure. And that has not led in a single country to a national parliament being able to think independently — the situation we are actually dealing with. Well, these statements by Mrs von der Leyen (Tysklands forsvarsminister) and Mr Maas (Tysklands utenriksminister), you can really put them in a sack. They make it clear that everything that happens in this field is not at all due to a sovereign decision by the national parliaments or even the governments. They bow to the American pressure and that makes it clear in the core that the American military commanders have actually taken control of our countries and that the vehicle to do so is NATO.

And the NATO Secretary-General Stoltenberg as a Norwegian is indeed really the eloquent expression for these considerations. During the Cold War, Norwegians and Danes took every opportunity to say goodbye to common defense through footnotes in the conference documents. And now they are the warmongers par excellence.
Vis hele sitatet...
Willy Wimmer-intervjuet.

Denne Wimmer-anekdoten ble jo litt løst apropos. Men det kan understreke et videre poeng: Det vi savner i dette lilleputtlandet vårt, er mangfold av perspektiver. Det som er “konspirasjonsteorier” i vår boble her oppe i nord, er noe man diskuterer i Europa. Og i Tyskland og i Frankrike diskuterer man i høy grad europeisk og nasjonal suverenitet og uavhengighet vis-a-vis USA, hvorimot vi etter andre verdenskrig har hatt en langt mer likefrem tilknytning til anglo-verdenen. Som kan være med på å forklare hvorfor støtten til våpenbistand til Ukraina er så langt mer utbredt her enn i mange andre europeiske land - f.eks. i Italia, hvor flertallet av befolkningen nå er mot videre våpenleveranser.
Sist endret av exocytose; 10. februar 2023 kl. 00:17. Grunn: Automatisk sammenslåing med etterfølgende innlegg.