View Single Post
You don't "fix" a deeply embedded behavior pattern of an entire culture. Every man or woman is ultimately responsible for their own behavior. You can only fix yourself, so if you are having difficulties communicating with an entire country, the only fixing that can be done is by you. As a Norwegian reading this, I don't feel responsible or accountable for my people's behavior, any more than you would if I were to make generalized statements about your culture. But yes, Norwegians can be difficult to get to know. We are creatures of habit, locked in a strange pattern of reserved politeness shaped by history and geography, and inherited through generations. A politeness that ironically is often misread as rudeness by people from other cultures. We can be warm, friendly considerate and loving, but we need the proper context in order to feel comfortable showing these sides of ourselves. If you have been here for three years and still haven't witnessed this, you need to try harder to understand our culture and to facilitate situations that allow your Norwegian acquaintances to let their guard down. You can blame us all you want, compare us to other societies and state your preferences, but you are the one visiting a strange culture you don't understand. If you are measuring and judging a culture based on social rules from other societies, your insights and experiences will be limited. You perceive us as rude and unfriendly mostly because you haven't cracked the social code yet. You are standing on the outside looking in because you haven't found the entrance. If you want to get in, you need to find an arena where the social rules are more relaxed than what you may experience in public places and many workplaces. It can be difficult and time-consuming, but it is what it is, and the position you seem to be taking on the matter probably isn't doing you any favors.
Sist endret av mentalmelt; 26. juli 2017 kl. 22:06. Grunn: leif