View Single Post
Når diskusjoner omkring mulig tapende vestlig innflytelse i diverse regioner i verden (som Afrika, Midtøsten), eller økonomiske nedgangstider for Vesten, eller diskusjoner omkring mindre lure politiske valg av vestlige politikere, eller vestlige forbrytelser, eller bare et oppriktig forsøk på å ha et nøytralt eller analytisk blikk på politiske begivenheter, selv om man erkjenner at man ikke har tilgang på den hele og fulle sannhet, og forsøker å holde øynene åpne for egen bias, alt sammen er “russisk propaganda” og “talking points”, gjør man det vanskelig for seg selv. I mine øyne har man avskåret seg fra å forstå det som rører på seg i verden, og det er betegnende at en slik retorikk alltid er sterkt affektpreget, med paranoide undertoner, om det så er om allestedsnærværelsen av “fiendens” innflytelse, eller om motdebattantens motiver.

Jeg kan igjen anbefale Fiona Hills artikkel til alle intelligente og nysgjerrige mennesker, og mer enn de to første paragrafene som jeg klippet ut til tråden. Dette er skarp og substansiell analyse av en som vet hva hun snakker om, som kan anbefales uansett politisk ståsted (selv må jeg sies å stå temmelig langt unna henne), for dem som ønsker å forstå de betydelige og ofte forvirrende (synes jeg selv) geopolitiske bevegelsene i kjølvannet av Ukraina-krigen. Hun taler med vestens, og spesifikt Ukrainas, interesser i sikte, hvis det er viktig for en, som det jo for så vidt er nærliggende at det er for dette forumets brukere, inkludert meg (som bare har sympati for den ukrainske befolkningen, og null sympati for den russiske kommandostrukturen). Ikke er den så lang heller! Her er forelesningen på YouTube, hvis man foretrekker det.

Når det gjelder trådens tema, smalere sett, kan David Ignatius i Washington Post fortelle oss at USA fortsetter å stå standhaftig ved sin støtte til Ukraina (Mearsheimers artikkel, som jeg linker til ovenfor, forklarer hvorfor):

As Biden administration officials assess Ukraine’s slow progress in this summer’s counteroffensive, they have been candidly discussing with Kyiv what they see as “lessons learned.” The bottom line for the administration is that this war will probably grind into next year — and that the United States and its allies must remain steadfast in helping Ukraine keep pushing forward.

I heard this same sentiment across all levels of the U.S. government in recent days. The summer has been frustrating and, in some ways, disappointing for Ukraine and its Western backers. But rather than look for a quick diplomatic exit ramp, most senior U.S. officials appear more convinced than ever of the need to stand fast with Kyiv. The United States, in their view, cannot be seen to abandon its ally.
Vis hele sitatet...
For å se på den mer materielle siden av konflikten, er dette tilstanden til amerikansk og russisk produksjon av ammunisjon:

A recent Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) report estimates that Russia fired 12 million artillery shells in 2022 and estimated the military would discharge seven million in 2023. This could indicate that Soviet-era stockpiles are thinning out. Still, the report notes that Russia is producing 2.5 million shells a year, in addition to munitions imports from North Korea and Iran.

In stark contrast, the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) estimated in January that the United States could only produce 93,000 155mm shells a year, all of which go to training exercises. If the military achieves an accelerated production schedule, it will produce 240,000 shells yearly, still less than 10 percent of Russia’s current production. Ukrainian artillery fires 8,000 rounds daily, consuming an entire month of current U.S. munitions production. Even if the Pentagon achieves its stated goal of manufacturing 90,000 shells a month by FY 2025, it still is only half of Russia’s current production level.

Other NATO members are in even worse shape. In June, the German Bundeswehr discovered that only 20,000 155mm shells remained in its entire arsenal. The United Kingdom cannot produce high-caliber gun barrels for tanks and artillery. Vast amounts of the equipment NATO has sent to Ukraine have been ill-maintained junk, calling into question the quality of the arsenals left behind. Meanwhile, at least 20 percent of the frontline equipment that the West scraped together for the Ukrainian counter-offensive was destroyed in the first week alone.
Vis hele sitatet...
Når det gjelder tap av menneskeliv, frykter amerikanske tjenestemenn at Ukraina har blitt "casualty averse":

American officials say they fear that Ukraine has become casualty averse, one reason it has been cautious about pressing ahead with the counteroffensive. Almost any big push against dug-in Russian defenders protected by minefields would result in huge numbers of losses.

In just a year and a half, Ukraine’s military deaths have already surpassed the number of American troops who died during the nearly two decades U.S. units were in Vietnam (roughly 58,000) and about equal the number of Afghan security forces killed over the entire war in Afghanistan, from 2001 to 2021 (around 69,000).
Vis hele sitatet...
Sist endret av exocytose; 28. august 2023 kl. 21:52.